What is Net Protector AntiVirus 2010

Discussion in 'Spyware' started by siljaline, Jul 27, 2010.

1. siljaline

siljaline Guest

Another Rogue, removal instructions, details for Experts, etc.
    <http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=58630>

Silj

siljaline, Jul 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. From: "siljaline" <>

| Another Rogue, removal instructions, details for Experts, etc.
    | <http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=58630>

You can post another 100 with all the new rogues. There are purchasable kits to roll your
    own.

David H. Lipman, Jul 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. siljaline

siljaline Guest

Just passing these along as a courtesy to the MBAM folks, Dave.

Was not aware that Rogue A-V's could be rolled out of available software.

Silj

siljaline, Jul 28, 2010
  4. From: "siljaline" <>

| Just passing these along as a courtesy to the MBAM folks, Dave.

| Was not aware that Rogue A-V's could be rolled out of available software.

For sure. That's why there are so many and some have very similar GUI's.

5. siljaline

siljaline Guest

Bottom line, Dave - folks need to know - old timers like you and me and many others find
    this sorta thing a bit mundane and I do agree.

I suppose the roll your own UI is OK for the Rogue A-V purveyors but not for those Joe Users
    with crappy security and security settings.

I'd sonner post something that would make a user aware of a great freeware app like MBAM
    than hearing from someone asking where is the best place to have an HJT Log looked at.

Many boards are going away from HJT, btw - I still use it.

Regards,

Silj

siljaline, Jul 28, 2010
  6. From: "siljaline" <>

| Bottom line, Dave - folks need to know - old timers like you and me and many others
    | find
    | this sorta thing a bit mundane and I do agree.

| I suppose the roll your own UI is OK for the Rogue A-V purveyors but not for those Joe
    | Users
    | with crappy security and security settings.

| I'd sonner post something that would make a user aware of a great freeware app like
    | MBAM than hearing from someone asking where is the best place to have an HJT Log looked
    at.

| Many boards are going away from HJT, btw - I still use it.

| Regards,

Yes, there are competitive tools to HJT since Merijn Bellekom sold it to Trend Micro (BTW:
    Merijn is now a MBAM developer).

It is good to discuss all aspects of the rogues not just information on a particular new
    one since there are so many. Maybe one post detailing several rogues is more suited than
    just one post per rogue. Fo example you gould gather the "latest" rogues and create a
    weekly post detailing them.

The reason why SpywareWarrior stopped listing the rogues was it was far to time consuming
    to keep up with. Sure when individuals and companies were creating them it was easy but
    once these "kits" were announced for sale in hacker forums they have taken off.

Now we are also seeing rogue av comparatives. That is new web sites cropping up with
    bogus data comparing rogue (fake) AV software with legitimate ones.

http://m.zdnet.com/blog/security/the-rise-of-the-rogue-av-testers/6822

"Rogue AV Testers are somehow similar in behavior. In their case, the business model is no
    longer based on a false sense of security but instead, on a false sense of insecurity."

I mentioned the rogue kits for sale. This is a new paradigm in malware. Kits of source
    code for sale such that you can roll your own malware. Over the past couple of years I
    have seen this to be more prevalent. Take for example Tr1p0d who setup Codesoft.CC and
    was selling the Codesoft source code so you can buy the code and subsequently roll your
    own data stealer. The same goes for the CyberGate Remote Access Trojan (CyberGate RAT).
    [ CyberGate RAT, the new SubSeven ? ]

If you see; %programfiles%\hackhound.txt the malware that created it probably was from
    source code that had been purchased in a kit.

7. siljaline

siljaline Guest

I am well aware of the fact that Merijn does some work for MBAM.
    A weekly Rogues summary posting, that's an idea that I will take under consideration.
    The SWW Board is not a board that I necessarily agree with, to be polite.
    Whatever the consensus decided there is not cast in stone for others to assume as Biblical.
    Noted -

Silj

siljaline, Jul 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question