taskmgr.exe cannot be found and programs wont open properly.

Discussion in 'Dealing with Spyware' started by Swepty, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Swepty

Swepty

When using firefox the window closed itself and was replaced with a window saying Vista Spyware Protection and that I had 29 threats, i thought this was malware so tryed opening AVG to run a scan and nothing happened. Tryed to open firefox with the same result and then tryed to open task manager with the same result, I opened task manager by searching for taskmgr.exe from the vista start menu and then ran as admin.

There was a program called xkm.exe and it had the same description. I ended the process, tryed running a program and the Vista Spyware protection opened up again, so i tryed deleting it, which i didnt have permission to. So i renamed the file and deleted it and then tryed opening AVG again which when i open wants me to select a program to open it with, so i ran the program as admin and it opened, ran a scan and found 6 files infected with Adware and then removed them.

The message has stopped popping up but when trying to open a program it still wants me to pick a program to open it with and when i right-click the toolbar and click Task Manager it says " C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe Application not found" except i can still open it but only if i find in the system 32 folder.

SO! long story short, am i still infected? and how do i fix this? also if i done something that I shouldn't have done please tell me!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    Swepty, Apr 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question