My PC is a SPAM server

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Nebulous, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Nebulous

Nebulous

Fairly certain some sort of malware has turned my PC into a SPAM server. I know, I know... that is not usually the case -- they usually are just sending things in my name from elsewhere. However, consider these facts:
    1. This is a GMail account
    2. I do not store my addresses in Gmail, only in Outlook contacts
    3. It is sending messages down the list to my address book entries, in alphabetical order.
    4. They do not show up in my Sent Items in Outlook, but they do show up in my Sent Items in Gmail.
    5. In Outlook I changed the SMTP port to "1" in order to cause Outlook to be unable to send, but they kept being sent.
    6. As soon as I disabled Network connectivity, they stopped.

I've Virus Scanned (Trend Micro), run MalwareBytes, and run SpyBot. I also checked to make sure Outlook doesn't have an undesirable plugin.

Regarding the last statement, I didn't expect it would. My guess is some rootkit or other program has become a mail server, is able to read my Outlook contacts (or imported it for its own own purposes), and yet sends the messages through some non-standard port..

At the moment, I haven't yet re-enabled my network connectivity after doing all the above, so I don't know if it's still going to do it. Fortunately, I stopped it before it got far down my Contacts list. A couple of other positives:
    (1) It only seems to affect my primary/default account in Outlook. I have a few, and one of them is for my business. My personal account is set up as primary, and fortunately my business has not been sending this SPAM.
    (2) It only seems to have read my regular Contacts. I also have Business Contact Manager, which is where I store my business contacts. It doesn't seem to have sent anything to those addresses.

Any help you can provide?

Thanks!

~ N

Nebulous, Apr 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Nebulous

Nebulous

I should add that Spybot found a Trojan called "win32.Banker.fgv." The info I see on it doesn't suggest it sends SPAM.

Also, I know when I got this. I received an email from someone I know with a link. I clicked the link and was taken to an "online pharmacy" site. As it happes, I was expecting a link from him, so I fell for it (I'm normally quite cautious). I called him, and his computer was doing what mine is now. That was 2 days ago.

Nebulous, Apr 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question