Is this from a virus still in hardware???

Discussion in 'Virus Information' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Oct 5, 2005.

1. I had a virus that destryed my hard drive. I put in a new hard drive and when
    connected to the internet via cable my computer turns on by itself. If i
    disconnect the cable to my LAN it does not turn on by itself. Could this
    possibly be a virus in the hardware and a hacker entering my computer and
    turning it on? I did run Norton 2005 system premier and found no viruses but
    i can not figure what it might be.

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Oct 5, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. From: "Phil" <>

| I had a virus that destryed my hard drive. I put in a new hard drive and when
    | connected to the internet via cable my computer turns on by itself. If i
    | disconnect the cable to my LAN it does not turn on by itself. Could this
    | possibly be a virus in the hardware and a hacker entering my computer and
    | turning it on? I did run Norton 2005 system premier and found no viruses but
    | i can not figure what it might be.
    | --
    | Thank you,
    | Phil

Viruses don't destroy hard disks. There are NO hardware destroying viruses. The closest a
    virus has come is the CIH or Kriz that wipe the BIOS of a flashable BIOS if the BIOS has not
    been write-protected. This make the computer impotent and it will not boot and some *may*
    consider the hardware as damaged but a replacement BIOS chip can be installed (sometimes
    only by the factory) and the motherboard will work again.

As for a PC being turned on when connected to the Internet. This is NOT a virus. A "magic
    packet" can do this. This means the BIOS setting "wake on LAN" is enabled. Disable it.

David H. Lipman, Oct 5, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question