IE pop-ups will not stop

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by =?Utf-8?B?RHVua21hbjc4?=, May 14, 2006.

1. I have a problem with pop-up windows that come up even when I do not have a
    browser open. I have roadrunner for my ISP and am on-line all the time.
    Whenever these advertisements or googlesearch pages come up, the Task Manager
    registers that a program called "motmon.exe" is maxing out my RAM. When I am
    typing something, or working on something, it seems that something is trying
    to start up and it puts the window that I am working into the background. I
    have to click the top bar of the window to get it to the front so I can work
    on it again. I tried to get rid of "motmon.exe" and for some reason it will
    not let me delete it. I NEED HELP!! My spyware and my Norton's are not able
    to do anything about it. Thanks for any help I can get.

=?Utf-8?B?RHVua21hbjc4?=, May 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. From: "Dunkman78" <>

| I have a problem with pop-up windows that come up even when I do not have a
    | browser open. I have roadrunner for my ISP and am on-line all the time.
    | Whenever these advertisements or googlesearch pages come up, the Task Manager
    | registers that a program called "motmon.exe" is maxing out my RAM. When I am
    | typing something, or working on something, it seems that something is trying
    | to start up and it puts the window that I am working into the background. I
    | have to click the top bar of the window to get it to the front so I can work
    | on it again. I tried to get rid of "motmon.exe" and for some reason it will
    | not let me delete it. I NEED HELP!! My spyware and my Norton's are not able
    | to do anything about it. Thanks for any help I can get.

It would grr\eatly help to if you posted what the Pop-Ups content is. What web sites do
    they take you too ?

Some malware take you to specific web sites. Those web sites point to a particular family
    of Trojans and thus your solution could be more targeted and less generic..

In the mean time, you can try the following...

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe

To use this utility, perform the following...
    Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
    { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your
    FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files.

C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
    This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
    This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
    download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
    needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
    during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe
    Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode.

When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
    file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
    http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

* * * Please report back your results * * *

David H. Lipman, May 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. =?Utf-8?B?RHVua21hbjc4?=

Elendil Guest

Go to the Detailed Malware Removal page of my website: www.stopmalware.tk
    and follow the instructions. I believe Spybot S&D will cure the majority of
    your problems from some research I performed but you never know what the
    other anti-malware procedures will do. But like David said, please elaborate
    on the questions he has asked.

Elendil, May 14, 2006
  4. My reply is at the bottom of your message :

This motmon.exe should be removed.
    Perform the "Check for and eliminate" instructions in my site
    http://pandaman.my.contact.bg

Panda_man

=?Utf-8?B?UGFuZGFfbWFu?=, May 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question