Authentium Anti-Virus info/AT&T Internet Security Suite

Discussion in 'Dealing with Spyware' started by Juan_Uvmeni, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Juan_Uvmeni

Juan_Uvmeni

Just discovered that the new AT&T Internet Security Suite contracts out to Authentium for it's anti-virus protection and contracts to Computer Associates for it's Anti-spyware. These two 4th party providers are packaged by Radialpoint and offered by AT&T.

I found out after a popup began automatically installing Authentium Anti-Virus SDK-2 when I opened my e-mail program. I thought I had a Trojan attached to a .wmv file a friend was sending. After contacting AT&T Customer svc, the clueless agent was not aware that they had a 4th party software bundled in the Third party provider to their Security suite.

Buried in the Security Suite Privacy notices was a reference to Authentium.com. I have asked AT&T and Radial Point if there is a way to temporarily disable the Automatic Updates like Symantec permits with it's Norton AV and they say no. The AT&T package does an Automatic Update at every logon, reboot, and then once every three hours until you turn off your PC. This TSR running in the background will cause "chirps" in any CD Burn you have in progress when it activates.

There is also no way to uninstall it unless you completly uninstall AT&T IS Suite. Authentium shows up as a folder under Common files. Associated files are dvpapi.exe and are buried in the Registry.

Juan_Uvmeni, Dec 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question