Anti-Spyware Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

probable spyware website posing as Microsoft website

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?ZGFkczV0aGQ=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-01-2006, 06:05 PM
On new years day we started getting the pop ups saying we had critical
spyware problems, and rather than closing out of the popup my husband clicked
on the "fix" button. Now when we try to log onto our homepage, a different
website comes up, and it's called WWW.Securityonlinecaution.com - Microsoft.
We can browse out to the web, but we can't change the homepage back. We've
tried using several different addresses from within Internet Explorer,
properties, options, and we apply them , but that doesn't change anything.
I've tried clearing out the cookies, temp internet files, temp files, along
with running Mcafee antivirus software,& ad-aware, but nothing helps. I
also tried to download the IE 6.0 clear cache download, but my computer keeps
blocking it. Any suggestions?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David H. Lipman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-01-2006, 06:37 PM
From: "dads5thd" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| On new years day we started getting the pop ups saying we had critical
| spyware problems, and rather than closing out of the popup my husband clicked
| on the "fix" button. Now when we try to log onto our homepage, a different
| website comes up, and it's called WWW.Securityonlinecaution.com - Microsoft.
| We can browse out to the web, but we can't change the homepage back. We've
| tried using several different addresses from within Internet Explorer,
| properties, options, and we apply them , but that doesn't change anything.
| I've tried clearing out the cookies, temp internet files, temp files, along
| with running Mcafee antivirus software,& ad-aware, but nothing helps. I
| also tried to download the IE 6.0 clear cache download, but my computer keeps
| blocking it. Any suggestions?



For non-viral malware...

Please download, install and update the following software...

* Ad-aware SE v1.06
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

* SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
http://security.kolla.de/

After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

I also suggest downloading, installing and updating BHODemon for any Browser Helper Objects
that may be on the PC.

* BHODemon

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadge...4332b4b8b8442d

For viral malware...

* Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe

To use this utility, perform the following...
Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your
FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files.

C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe
Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode.

When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm


* * * Please report back your results * * *


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug Knox MS-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
For the inability to set your home page, even though the malware has been cleaned out, it may have left some registry restrictions behind. See www.dougknox.com, Security, Disable/Enable Setting of Default Home Page. This small VB Script will make the necessary registry change for you. If your antivirus software complains about the script, this is normal, as it does write to the registry. Tell it to allow the script to run.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"dads5thd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On new years day we started getting the pop ups saying we had critical
> spyware problems, and rather than closing out of the popup my husband clicked
> on the "fix" button. Now when we try to log onto our homepage, a different
> website comes up, and it's called WWW.Securityonlinecaution.com - Microsoft.
> We can browse out to the web, but we can't change the homepage back. We've
> tried using several different addresses from within Internet Explorer,
> properties, options, and we apply them , but that doesn't change anything.
> I've tried clearing out the cookies, temp internet files, temp files, along
> with running Mcafee antivirus software,& ad-aware, but nothing helps. I
> also tried to download the IE 6.0 clear cache download, but my computer keeps
> blocking it. Any suggestions?

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-01-2006, 03:46 AM
I just visited Kelleys Corner yesterday and again today to re-check myself.
When you click on a catagory, it puts out 'bravenet' tracking cookie! Any
comments?
--
Blaze Bene


"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> For the inability to set your home page, even though the malware has been cleaned out, it may have left some registry restrictions behind. See www.dougknox.com, Security, Disable/Enable Setting of Default Home Page. This small VB Script will make the necessary registry change for you. If your antivirus software complains about the script, this is normal, as it does write to the registry. Tell it to allow the script to run.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "dads5thd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On new years day we started getting the pop ups saying we had critical
> > spyware problems, and rather than closing out of the popup my husband clicked
> > on the "fix" button. Now when we try to log onto our homepage, a different
> > website comes up, and it's called WWW.Securityonlinecaution.com - Microsoft.
> > We can browse out to the web, but we can't change the homepage back. We've
> > tried using several different addresses from within Internet Explorer,
> > properties, options, and we apply them , but that doesn't change anything.
> > I've tried clearing out the cookies, temp internet files, temp files, along
> > with running Mcafee antivirus software,& ad-aware, but nothing helps. I
> > also tried to download the IE 6.0 clear cache download, but my computer keeps
> > blocking it. Any suggestions?

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Knox MS-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-01-2006, 04:02 AM
That's normal. She uses a Bravenet counter on her site, and it leaves a cookie so it can differentiate between new visitors and returning visitors. I'm not sure of all the parameters that she set, but its benign. It just helps to keep her actual hit count more accurate.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Dale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just visited Kelleys Corner yesterday and again today to re-check myself.
> When you click on a catagory, it puts out 'bravenet' tracking cookie! Any
> comments?
> --
> Blaze Bene
>
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> For the inability to set your home page, even though the malware has been cleaned out, it may have left some registry restrictions behind. See www.dougknox.com, Security, Disable/Enable Setting of Default Home Page. This small VB Script will make the necessary registry change for you. If your antivirus software complains about the script, this is normal, as it does write to the registry. Tell it to allow the script to run.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "dads5thd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On new years day we started getting the pop ups saying we had critical
>> > spyware problems, and rather than closing out of the popup my husband clicked
>> > on the "fix" button. Now when we try to log onto our homepage, a different
>> > website comes up, and it's called WWW.Securityonlinecaution.com - Microsoft.
>> > We can browse out to the web, but we can't change the homepage back. We've
>> > tried using several different addresses from within Internet Explorer,
>> > properties, options, and we apply them , but that doesn't change anything.
>> > I've tried clearing out the cookies, temp internet files, temp files, along
>> > with running Mcafee antivirus software,& ad-aware, but nothing helps. I
>> > also tried to download the IE 6.0 clear cache download, but my computer keeps
>> > blocking it. Any suggestions?

>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?ZGFkczV0aGQ=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      14-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. The BHOdemon disabled the false web
page, and I will follow up with cleaning up the registry per Doug;s
instructions.
Thanks again

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> That's normal. She uses a Bravenet counter on her site, and it leaves a cookie so it can differentiate between new visitors and returning visitors. I'm not sure of all the parameters that she set, but its benign. It just helps to keep her actual hit count more accurate.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Dale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I just visited Kelleys Corner yesterday and again today to re-check myself.
> > When you click on a catagory, it puts out 'bravenet' tracking cookie! Any
> > comments?
> > --
> > Blaze Bene
> >
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> For the inability to set your home page, even though the malware has been cleaned out, it may have left some registry restrictions behind. See www.dougknox.com, Security, Disable/Enable Setting of Default Home Page. This small VB Script will make the necessary registry change for you. If your antivirus software complains about the script, this is normal, as it does write to the registry. Tell it to allow the script to run.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
> >>
> >> "dads5thd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> > On new years day we started getting the pop ups saying we had critical
> >> > spyware problems, and rather than closing out of the popup my husband clicked
> >> > on the "fix" button. Now when we try to log onto our homepage, a different
> >> > website comes up, and it's called WWW.Securityonlinecaution.com - Microsoft.
> >> > We can browse out to the web, but we can't change the homepage back. We've
> >> > tried using several different addresses from within Internet Explorer,
> >> > properties, options, and we apply them , but that doesn't change anything.
> >> > I've tried clearing out the cookies, temp internet files, temp files, along
> >> > with running Mcafee antivirus software,& ad-aware, but nothing helps. I
> >> > also tried to download the IE 6.0 clear cache download, but my computer keeps
> >> > blocking it. Any suggestions?
> >>

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Probable false postives in Windows Live Safety center Full service =?Utf-8?B?SlJvc2VuZmVsZA==?= Computer Security 5 31-01-2006 08:09 PM
Probable virus of some sort... =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWsgRC4uLg==?= Virus Information 12 25-04-2005 02:51 AM
Spyware, spyware, spyware, spyware, spyware, spyware, spyware, spyware, spyware Spyware Hater Security Software 2 27-04-2004 05:34 PM
(probable) spyware highjack of IE 6.0 - help! systemtool Spyware 6 01-03-2004 03:40 PM
Spyware posing as anti-spyware software data64 Spyware 0 05-02-2004 04:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.