Anti-Spyware Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

advanced keylogger

 
 
Anon y mous
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      27-07-2005, 11:34 AM
AOL spyware scan program routinely- (every other day) is finding an advanced
keylogger. As a usual AOL program- it is dummed down- so I can't get to
the root cause- ie a particular website, etc

I am running:
NAV
Adaware (doesn't find it) (Scan weekly)
spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
Linksys router
MS firewall
WIN XP home SP2

Is there any better software/tools out there??
I looked at Hijackthis- did not find anything that did not seem to belong in
there.

I would like to be able to put some custom blocks in Spyware blaster- if
that is what it takes to block these suckers.

Thx

Paul




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      27-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Anon y mous wrote:

> AOL spyware scan program routinely- (every other day) is finding an
> advanced
> keylogger. As a usual AOL program- it is dummed down- so I can't get
> to
> the root cause- ie a particular website, etc
>
> I am running:
> NAV
> Adaware (doesn't find it) (Scan weekly)
> spybot S&D
> Spywareblaster
> Linksys router
> MS firewall
> WIN XP home SP2
>
> Is there any better software/tools out there??
> I looked at Hijackthis- did not find anything that did not seem to
> belong in there.
>


What is the name and location of the file that the AOL program finds?

Malke
--
"I have a cunning plan..."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeremy
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      28-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Anon y mous wrote:
> AOL spyware scan program routinely- (every other day) is finding an advanced
> keylogger. As a usual AOL program- it is dummed down- so I can't get to
> the root cause- ie a particular website, etc
>
> I am running:
> NAV
> Adaware (doesn't find it) (Scan weekly)
> spybot S&D
> Spywareblaster
> Linksys router
> MS firewall
> WIN XP home SP2
>
> Is there any better software/tools out there??
> I looked at Hijackthis- did not find anything that did not seem to belong in
> there.
>
> I would like to be able to put some custom blocks in Spyware blaster- if
> that is what it takes to block these suckers.
>
> Thx
>
> Paul
>
>
>
>




You might want to try something better than MS Firewall. I don't use
it, but I believe that it does not give you much control over what
programs can "call home." I've had excellent results with the free
version of Zone Alarm. Before it allows a program to access your local
network or the Internet for the first time, it pops up a dailog box
asking if you want that particular application to have access. You can
choose to give it either one-time access (next time it runs Zone Alarm
will ask you for permission again) OR you can give it permanent rights
to access.

If you have a rogue program that is trying to call home, it will
eventually trip the Zone Alarm screening feature, and you can then click
that it should be denied access permanently.

That way, even if you are having difficulty locating and deleting the
culprit, you can at least neutralize it by keeping it from transmitting
any of the information that it has collected on you.

There may be more advanced ways to deal with this problem, but this
technique is simple and I believe that it is effective, at least until
the offending progrqm can be fully rooted out.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anon y mous
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      28-07-2005, 04:59 AM
As usual- AOL is dummed down- all it says is generic
"advanced keylogger"- gives no details as to program, etc.

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anon y mous wrote:
>
>> AOL spyware scan program routinely- (every other day) is finding an
>> advanced
>> keylogger. As a usual AOL program- it is dummed down- so I can't get
>> to
>> the root cause- ie a particular website, etc
>>
>> I am running:
>> NAV
>> Adaware (doesn't find it) (Scan weekly)
>> spybot S&D
>> Spywareblaster
>> Linksys router
>> MS firewall
>> WIN XP home SP2
>>
>> Is there any better software/tools out there??
>> I looked at Hijackthis- did not find anything that did not seem to
>> belong in there.
>>

>
> What is the name and location of the file that the AOL program finds?
>
> Malke
> --
> "I have a cunning plan..."



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anon y mous
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      28-07-2005, 05:01 AM
Thanks
I used to run Zone alarm- until my system got fried- I lost a hard drive to
old age- I reinstalled XP Home and left Windows do the firewall thing- (I
used to hate it before- it always seemed to shut itself off all the time-
but not with this new installation).

I can put ZA back in- how do I clean up the behind the scenes stuff? I also
would not put it past AOL to have false hits either....

Thanks

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anon y mous wrote:
>> AOL spyware scan program routinely- (every other day) is finding an
>> advanced keylogger. As a usual AOL program- it is dummed down- so I
>> can't get to the root cause- ie a particular website, etc
>>
>> I am running:
>> NAV
>> Adaware (doesn't find it) (Scan weekly)
>> spybot S&D
>> Spywareblaster
>> Linksys router
>> MS firewall
>> WIN XP home SP2
>>
>> Is there any better software/tools out there??
>> I looked at Hijackthis- did not find anything that did not seem to belong
>> in there.
>>
>> I would like to be able to put some custom blocks in Spyware blaster- if
>> that is what it takes to block these suckers.
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>

>
>
>
> You might want to try something better than MS Firewall. I don't use it,
> but I believe that it does not give you much control over what programs
> can "call home." I've had excellent results with the free version of Zone
> Alarm. Before it allows a program to access your local network or the
> Internet for the first time, it pops up a dailog box asking if you want
> that particular application to have access. You can choose to give it
> either one-time access (next time it runs Zone Alarm will ask you for
> permission again) OR you can give it permanent rights to access.
>
> If you have a rogue program that is trying to call home, it will
> eventually trip the Zone Alarm screening feature, and you can then click
> that it should be denied access permanently.
>
> That way, even if you are having difficulty locating and deleting the
> culprit, you can at least neutralize it by keeping it from transmitting
> any of the information that it has collected on you.
>
> There may be more advanced ways to deal with this problem, but this
> technique is simple and I believe that it is effective, at least until the
> offending progrqm can be fully rooted out.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anti_Freak_Machine
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      28-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Anon y mous wrote:
> AOL spyware scan program routinely- (every other day) is finding an advanced
> keylogger. As a usual AOL program- it is dummed down- so I can't get to
> the root cause- ie a particular website, etc
>
> I am running:
> NAV
> Adaware (doesn't find it) (Scan weekly)
> spybot S&D
> Spywareblaster
> Linksys router
> MS firewall
> WIN XP home SP2
> Is there any better software/tools out there??


I'd recommend giving Microsofts Anti-Spyware (MSAS) program a shot. If
MSAS and your AV come up clean (your AV is up to date right? advanced
keylogger is not 'new' so NAV should be detecting it) it is probably a
false positive.

> I would like to be able to put some custom blocks in Spyware blaster- if
> that is what it takes to block these suckers.


If you are convinced the keylogger is getting in via an exploit in your
browser (which is what the custom list for Spyware blaster is normally
used to address) then consider changing your broswer to Firefox. Like I
said, your AV should be picking this up before AOL spyware whatever its
called.



--
Super Mike
"Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."
[My donkey would like a midget and a yacht, please.]
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeremy
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      28-07-2005, 12:34 PM
>
>
> If you are convinced the keylogger is getting in via an exploit in your
> browser (which is what the custom list for Spyware blaster is normally
> used to address) then consider changing your broswer to Firefox. Like I
> said, your AV should be picking this up before AOL spyware whatever its
> called.
>


I occasionally run a keylogger detector, just to be sure that nothing
has crept into my system. Here is a free one:

http://dewasoft.com/privacy/kldetector.htm


 
Reply With Quote
 
dak
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      28-08-2005, 04:12 AM
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 04:34:29 -0700, "Anon y mous"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to be able to put some custom blocks in Spyware blaster- if
>that is what it takes to block these suckers.


You can find my ready made list, instructions, and information at my
website. You'll find the link in my SIG.
Note that SpywareBlaster will only block malware that have entries
included in its database. My list has entries for some malware that
hasn't been included (yet). I bring that to your attention in case
your problem isn't blocked by SpywareBlaster or my list.
If it isn't, I'll be glad to help you add the necessary custom
entries for your problem, *IF* your problem is of the type which
SpywareBlaster can offer some relief.

--
dak
My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:
<http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
stevengerrard223 stevengerrard223 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10

 
      30-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Freak_Machine View Post
Anon y mous wrote:
> AOL spyware scan program routinely- (every other day) is finding an advanced
> keylogger. As a usual AOL program- it is dummed down- so I can't get to
> the root cause- ie a particular website, etc
>
> I am running:
> NAV
> Adaware (doesn't find it) (Scan weekly)
> spybot S&D
> Spywareblaster
> Linksys router
> MS firewall
> WIN XP home SP2
> Is there any better software/tools out there??


I'd recommend giving Microsofts Anti-Spyware (MSAS) program a shot. If
MSAS and your AV come up clean (your AV is up to date right? advanced
keylogger is not 'new' so NAV should be detecting it) it is probably a
false positive.

> I would like to be able to put some custom blocks in Spyware blaster- if
> that is what it takes to block these suckers.


If you are convinced the myjad keylogger is getting in via an exploit in your
browser (which is what the custom list for Spyware blaster is normally
used to address) then consider changing your broswer to Firefox. Like I
said, your AV should be picking this up before AOL spyware whatever its
called.



--
Super Mike
"Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."
[My donkey would like a midget and a yacht, please.]

I dont think chaging browser would work since the keylogger has already been installed. Better opt for some anti-malware program or just reinstall your operating system.

Last edited by stevengerrard223; 16-09-2013 at 08:50 AM..
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Antivirus installation on windows 2000 advanced server =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?= Virus Information 5 31-12-2004 02:35 AM
Spybot advanced tony@well.com Spyware 7 08-05-2004 02:57 PM
Sybot S&D advanced mode setup afterthought slate_leeper Spyware 0 08-05-2004 02:31 PM
Spybot advanced mode? Albert_Hall Spyware 3 12-10-2003 10:12 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 AM.