Anti-Spyware Forums


Reply
 
 
Kayman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-11-2006, 08:40 AM
setdebug.exe is located in C:\WINDOWS.
---
Description: Microsoft ActiveX Debugger Configuration Application for Java.
Company: Microsoft Corporation.
File version: 5.0.3810.0.
Date created: 23-Dec-04
---
Double clicked the 'Bear' icon and a dos window appeared titled
"C:\Windows\setdebug.exe" together with a prompt titled "ActiveX debugging
for Java" asking "Enable ActiveX debugging for Java?" Yes / No. I clicked
neither but exited the dos window by clicking on to the x located on the
top right corner.

Is this a genuine program for IE6 Win XPPro Sp2 and if so how often should
this debugging device be executed?
TIA.
Kayman.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve Winograd [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kayman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>setdebug.exe is located in C:\WINDOWS.
>---
>Description: Microsoft ActiveX Debugger Configuration Application for Java.
>Company: Microsoft Corporation.
>File version: 5.0.3810.0.
>Date created: 23-Dec-04
>---
>Double clicked the 'Bear' icon and a dos window appeared titled
>"C:\Windows\setdebug.exe" together with a prompt titled "ActiveX debugging
>for Java" asking "Enable ActiveX debugging for Java?" Yes / No. I clicked
>neither but exited the dos window by clicking on to the x located on the
>top right corner.
>
>Is this a genuine program for IE6 Win XPPro Sp2 and if so how often should
>this debugging device be executed?
>TIA.
>Kayman.


Yes, it's a genuine program, although there have been Internet-based
hoaxes claiming otherwise. It enables or disables ActiveX debugging
for Java and lets you configure the Java source path. This web page
has more information:

http://www.hi.is/~snorri/SDK-docs/tools/tools009.htm

The program is apparently associated with the obsolete Microsoft
Virtual Machine (VM) for Java, which was removed from Windows XP in
Service Pack 2. On my computers, only the ones that still run Windows
XP Service Pack 1 have the setdegbug.exe file. I suspect that an XP
SP2 computer will only have the file if it was upgraded from XP RTM or
XP SP1.

The typical Windows user has no need to ever run setdebug.exe. I
recommend not running a program, even one that's part of Windows, if
you don't know what it does and how to use it.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kayman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for informative response and link, Steve.

I upgraded to SP2 quite some time ago, downloaded it through MS download
center using my dial-up connection. This probably explains the presence of
setdebug.exe file on my computer. Since this program is obsolete for my
particular system I might as well delete it.

Thanks again and best regards,
Kayman.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Winograd [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-11-2006, 10:00 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kayman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>setdebug.exe is located in C:\WINDOWS.
>>>---
>>>Description: Microsoft ActiveX Debugger Configuration Application for Java.
>>>Company: Microsoft Corporation.
>>>File version: 5.0.3810.0.
>>>Date created: 23-Dec-04
>>>---
>>>Double clicked the 'Bear' icon and a dos window appeared titled
>>>"C:\Windows\setdebug.exe" together with a prompt titled "ActiveX debugging
>>>for Java" asking "Enable ActiveX debugging for Java?" Yes / No. I clicked
>>>neither but exited the dos window by clicking on to the x located on the
>>>top right corner.
>>>
>>>Is this a genuine program for IE6 Win XPPro Sp2 and if so how often should
>>>this debugging device be executed?
>>>TIA.
>>>Kayman.

>>
>>Yes, it's a genuine program, although there have been Internet-based
>>hoaxes claiming otherwise. It enables or disables ActiveX debugging
>>for Java and lets you configure the Java source path. This web page
>>has more information:
>>
>>http://www.hi.is/~snorri/SDK-docs/tools/tools009.htm
>>
>>The program is apparently associated with the obsolete Microsoft
>>Virtual Machine (VM) for Java, which was removed from Windows XP in
>>Service Pack 2. On my computers, only the ones that still run Windows
>>XP Service Pack 1 have the setdegbug.exe file. I suspect that an XP
>>SP2 computer will only have the file if it was upgraded from XP RTM or
>>XP SP1.
>>
>>The typical Windows user has no need to ever run setdebug.exe. I
>>recommend not running a program, even one that's part of Windows, if
>>you don't know what it does and how to use it.

>
>Thanks for informative response and link, Steve.
>
>I upgraded to SP2 quite some time ago, downloaded it through MS download
>center using my dial-up connection. This probably explains the presence of
>setdebug.exe file on my computer. Since this program is obsolete for my
>particular system I might as well delete it.
>
>Thanks again and best regards,
>Kayman.


You're welcome, Kayman.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
nyanlone nyanlone is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1

 
      30-03-2011, 06:45 AM
I notice that my laptop is very hot, and take a look CPU usage, is 80% , than I stop this setdebug.exe , is lower down to below 10% . it is this one is like virus? or need to run?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 PM.