Anti-Spyware Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Problem Sharing Files Between PCs

 
 
Peter Lauren
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 12:09 PM
I have two PCs connected to each other through a Wireless-N Gigabit
Router (model number WRT310N). One PC is running Windws XP while the
other is running Windows 7. At this point I do not have, or want,
Internet connectivity. I would, however, like to call web pages on the
Windows 7 PC from the Windows XP PC. The Windows 7 PC has php files
that run C++ files to analyze files supplied by the Windows XP PC and
I would like to send the results of the analysis back to the XP PC.

The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site that
allows users to run programs on my Windows 7 PC but I want to keep
hackers from accessing files on my Windows 7 PC. So the XP will be
connected directly to the Internet and the Windows 7 PC will only be
connected to the XP PC.

I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
FF URL box.
[Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
The following ensues on the FF browser.
Looking up searchconduit.com
Looking up isearch.avg.com
Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com

The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
Windows 7 PC name.

I tried to set up a network between the two PCs with the MS network
wizard on the XP box. It made a setup disk with a single file on it. I
was supposed to run the setup file on the other PCs that are supposed
to be on the network but, whe I did, I got the following message.

Cannot complete the Setwork Setup Wizard,
An error occurred during the configuration of the network on this
computer.
You can configure the network manually.

I didn't find that message helpful apart from telling me that the
setup was unsuccessful.

Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Peter.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
On 03/10/2011 13:09, Peter Lauren wrote:
> I have two PCs connected to each other through a Wireless-N Gigabit
> Router (model number WRT310N). One PC is running Windws XP while the
> other is running Windows 7. At this point I do not have, or want,
> Internet connectivity. I would, however, like to call web pages on the
> Windows 7 PC from the Windows XP PC. The Windows 7 PC has php files
> that run C++ files to analyze files supplied by the Windows XP PC and
> I would like to send the results of the analysis back to the XP PC.
>
> The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site that
> allows users to run programs on my Windows 7 PC but I want to keep
> hackers from accessing files on my Windows 7 PC. So the XP will be
> connected directly to the Internet and the Windows 7 PC will only be
> connected to the XP PC.
>
> I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
> So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
> FF URL box.
> [Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
> The following ensues on the FF browser.
> Looking up searchconduit.com
> Looking up isearch.avg.com
> Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com
>
> The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
> Windows 7 PC name.
>
> I tried to set up a network between the two PCs with the MS network
> wizard on the XP box. It made a setup disk with a single file on it. I
> was supposed to run the setup file on the other PCs that are supposed
> to be on the network but, whe I did, I got the following message.
>
> Cannot complete the Setwork Setup Wizard,
> An error occurred during the configuration of the network on this
> computer.
> You can configure the network manually.
>
> I didn't find that message helpful apart from telling me that the
> setup was unsuccessful.
>
> Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
> Peter.

Your logic is flawed. If you network the two PCs and the web facing one
gets compromised then the other PC will be reachable because it is
connected via the network.

These machines should be in a DMZ and ideally run as VMs.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Desk Rabbit "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On 03/10/2011 13:09, Peter Lauren wrote:
>> I have two PCs connected to each other through a Wireless-N Gigabit
>> Router (model number WRT310N). One PC is running Windws XP while the
>> other is running Windows 7. At this point I do not have, or want,
>> Internet connectivity. I would, however, like to call web pages on the
>> Windows 7 PC from the Windows XP PC. The Windows 7 PC has php files
>> that run C++ files to analyze files supplied by the Windows XP PC and
>> I would like to send the results of the analysis back to the XP PC.
>>
>> The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site that
>> allows users to run programs on my Windows 7 PC but I want to keep
>> hackers from accessing files on my Windows 7 PC. So the XP will be
>> connected directly to the Internet and the Windows 7 PC will only be
>> connected to the XP PC.
>>
>> I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
>> So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
>> FF URL box.
>> [Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
>> The following ensues on the FF browser.
>> Looking up searchconduit.com
>> Looking up isearch.avg.com
>> Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com
>>
>> The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
>> Windows 7 PC name.
>>
>> I tried to set up a network between the two PCs with the MS network
>> wizard on the XP box. It made a setup disk with a single file on it. I
>> was supposed to run the setup file on the other PCs that are supposed
>> to be on the network but, whe I did, I got the following message.
>>
>> Cannot complete the Setwork Setup Wizard,
>> An error occurred during the configuration of the network on this
>> computer.
>> You can configure the network manually.
>>
>> I didn't find that message helpful apart from telling me that the
>> setup was unsuccessful.
>>
>> Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>> Peter.

> Your logic is flawed. If you network the two PCs and the web facing one
> gets compromised then the other PC will be reachable because it is
> connected via the network.
>
> These machines should be in a DMZ and ideally run as VMs.
>


LOL

--
<snip>







































 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
On 03/10/2011 17:23, John Holmes wrote:
> Desk Rabbit "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> On 03/10/2011 13:09, Peter Lauren wrote:
>>> I have two PCs connected to each other through a Wireless-N Gigabit
>>> Router (model number WRT310N). One PC is running Windws XP while the
>>> other is running Windows 7. At this point I do not have, or want,
>>> Internet connectivity. I would, however, like to call web pages on the
>>> Windows 7 PC from the Windows XP PC. The Windows 7 PC has php files
>>> that run C++ files to analyze files supplied by the Windows XP PC and
>>> I would like to send the results of the analysis back to the XP PC.
>>>
>>> The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site that
>>> allows users to run programs on my Windows 7 PC but I want to keep
>>> hackers from accessing files on my Windows 7 PC. So the XP will be
>>> connected directly to the Internet and the Windows 7 PC will only be
>>> connected to the XP PC.
>>>
>>> I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
>>> So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
>>> FF URL box.
>>> [Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
>>> The following ensues on the FF browser.
>>> Looking up searchconduit.com
>>> Looking up isearch.avg.com
>>> Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com
>>>
>>> The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
>>> Windows 7 PC name.
>>>
>>> I tried to set up a network between the two PCs with the MS network
>>> wizard on the XP box. It made a setup disk with a single file on it. I
>>> was supposed to run the setup file on the other PCs that are supposed
>>> to be on the network but, whe I did, I got the following message.
>>>
>>> Cannot complete the Setwork Setup Wizard,
>>> An error occurred during the configuration of the network on this
>>> computer.
>>> You can configure the network manually.
>>>
>>> I didn't find that message helpful apart from telling me that the
>>> setup was unsuccessful.
>>>
>>> Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Peter.

>> Your logic is flawed. If you network the two PCs and the web facing one
>> gets compromised then the other PC will be reachable because it is
>> connected via the network.
>>
>> These machines should be in a DMZ and ideally run as VMs.
>>

>
> LOL
>

Good helpful feedback that. Can't argue with the cut and thrust and
technically backed up comments.



Whoops, sorry! Replied to the wrong post.

I wonder who got the message saying stupid ****?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Lauren
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 05:10 PM
On Oct 3, 9:57 am, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 13:09, Peter Lauren wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > I have two PCs connected to each other through a Wireless-N Gigabit
> > Router (model number WRT310N). One PC is running Windws XP while the
> > other is running Windows 7. At this point I do not have, or want,
> > Internet connectivity. I would, however, like to call web pages on the
> > Windows 7 PC from the Windows XP PC. The Windows 7 PC has php files
> > that run C++ files to analyze files supplied by the Windows XP PC and
> > I would like to send the results of the analysis back to the XP PC.

>
> > The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site that
> > allows users to run programs on my Windows 7 PC but I want to keep
> > hackers from accessing files on my Windows 7 PC. So the XP will be
> > connected directly to the Internet and the Windows 7 PC will only be
> > connected to the XP PC.

>
> > I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
> > So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
> > FF URL box.
> > [Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
> > The following ensues on the FF browser.
> > Looking up searchconduit.com
> > Looking up isearch.avg.com
> > Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com

>
> > The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
> > Windows 7 PC name.

>
> > I tried to set up a network between the two PCs with the MS network
> > wizard on the XP box. It made a setup disk with a single file on it. I
> > was supposed to run the setup file on the other PCs that are supposed
> > to be on the network but, whe I did, I got the following message.

>
> > Cannot complete the Setwork Setup Wizard,
> > An error occurred during the configuration of the network on this
> > computer.
> > You can configure the network manually.

>
> > I didn't find that message helpful apart from telling me that the
> > setup was unsuccessful.

>
> > Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
> > Peter.

>
> Your logic is flawed. If you network the two PCs and the web facing one
> gets compromised then the other PC will be reachable because it is
> connected via the network.
>
> These machines should be in a DMZ and ideally run as VMs.


Thank you for your reply.

I'm aiming for the setup described here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demilit...28computing%29 . The
XP PC is the web layer while the Windows 7 PC is the application
layer. Both have firewalls. Also, the XP PC is supposed to only
access files on the shared folder of the Windows 7 PC. Those files
are less sensitive and call files on unshared folders on the Windows 7
PC.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Lauren
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
On Oct 3, 9:57 am, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 13:09, Peter Lauren wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > I have two PCs connected to each other through a Wireless-N Gigabit
> > Router (model number WRT310N). One PC is running Windws XP while the
> > other is running Windows 7. At this point I do not have, or want,
> > Internet connectivity. I would, however, like to call web pages on the
> > Windows 7 PC from the Windows XP PC. The Windows 7 PC has php files
> > that run C++ files to analyze files supplied by the Windows XP PC and
> > I would like to send the results of the analysis back to the XP PC.

>
> > The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site that
> > allows users to run programs on my Windows 7 PC but I want to keep
> > hackers from accessing files on my Windows 7 PC. So the XP will be
> > connected directly to the Internet and the Windows 7 PC will only be
> > connected to the XP PC.

>
> > I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
> > So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
> > FF URL box.
> > [Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
> > The following ensues on the FF browser.
> > Looking up searchconduit.com
> > Looking up isearch.avg.com
> > Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com

>
> > The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
> > Windows 7 PC name.

>
> > I tried to set up a network between the two PCs with the MS network
> > wizard on the XP box. It made a setup disk with a single file on it. I
> > was supposed to run the setup file on the other PCs that are supposed
> > to be on the network but, whe I did, I got the following message.

>
> > Cannot complete the Setwork Setup Wizard,
> > An error occurred during the configuration of the network on this
> > computer.
> > You can configure the network manually.

>
> > I didn't find that message helpful apart from telling me that the
> > setup was unsuccessful.

>
> > Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
> > Peter.

>
> Your logic is flawed. If you network the two PCs and the web facing one
> gets compromised then the other PC will be reachable because it is
> connected via the network.
>
> These machines should be in a DMZ and ideally run as VMs.


Are VMs not software? Would they not be easier to hack than hardware?
 
Reply With Quote
 
hwf
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Peter Lauren wrote:
>
> The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site


M, kay...first thing pops to mind is Apache...lets try easier first...

>
> Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
> Peter.

Mkay...this might be easier:
<http://www.labnol.org/internet/turn-home-computer-into-web-server/9111/>

HTH
--
http://www.privacySOS.org | www.extinctioncrisis.org
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
_____ ____ ____ __ /\_/\ __ _ ______ _____
/ __/ |/ / / / / // // . . \\ \ |\ | / __ \ \ \ __\
_\ \/ / /_/ / _ / \ / \ \| \| \ \_\ \ \__\ _\
/___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \_@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\
 
Reply With Quote
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Peter Lauren wrote:

>
>I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
>So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
>FF URL box.
>[Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
>The following ensues on the FF browser.
>Looking up searchconduit.com
>Looking up isearch.avg.com
>Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com
>
>The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
>Windows 7 PC name.


What protocol?
http://[Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirec.../FileName.hmtl

won't work

Use:

file:///[Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
 
Reply With Quote
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-10-2011, 08:14 PM
G. Morgan wrote:

>Peter Lauren wrote:
>
>>
>>I can successfully ping both ways between the Windows 7 PC and XP PC.
>>So I fire up FireFox (FF) on the XP PC and type the following in the
>>FF URL box.
>>[Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl
>>The following ensues on the FF browser.
>>Looking up searchconduit.com
>>Looking up isearch.avg.com
>>Firefox can't find the server isearch.avg.com
>>
>>The same happens when I replace the Windows 7 PC IP address with the
>>Windows 7 PC name.

>
>What protocol?
>http://[Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirec.../FileName.hmtl
>
>won't work
>
>Use:
>
>file:///[Win7PCIPAddress]/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl



BTW --- Didn't you say you had a mapped directory?

Then it should go like this:

file:///z:/SharedDirectoryOnWin7PC/FileName.hmtl

replace "z" with the mapped drive

Or install a web server.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Lauren
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-10-2011, 03:30 AM
On Oct 3, 3:45 pm, hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Peter Lauren wrote:
>
> > The reason for this is that I am setting up a home based web site

>
> M, kay...first thing pops to mind is Apache...lets try easier first...
>
>
>
> > Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
> > Peter.

>
> Mkay...this might be easier:
> <http://www.labnol.org/internet/turn-home-computer-into-web-server/9111/>
>
> HTH
> --http://www.privacySOS.org|http://www.extinctioncrisis.orgwww.s...savewolves.org
> _____ ____ ____ __ /\_/\ __ _ ______ _____
> / __/ |/ / / / / // // . . \\ \ |\ | / __ \ \ \ __\
> _\ \/ / /_/ / _ / \ / \ \| \| \ \_\ \ \__\ _\
> /___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \_@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\


Thanks. I looked over it and will look at it in more depth tomorrow.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can computers sharing a router get a virus from one another with file sharing turned off? Jay A Anti-Virus 2 03-03-2007 03:49 AM
Data segment sharing problem Victor Zaslavsky Security Software 3 20-10-2006 03:37 AM
Sharing Encrypted files Noemi Security Software 1 30-03-2005 09:32 AM
File sharing between an AD Domain controller and a member server through a firewall Clementius Security Software 3 21-06-2004 10:55 PM
URGENT Problem sharing a folder!!! Harry Security Software 4 01-08-2003 05:20 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.