Anti-Spyware Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Is this a virus ?

 
 
russg
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 04:11 PM
On Sep 3, 3:50*pm, scbs29 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello all
> I have set up my wifes laptop (NEC i_Select 5210) to dual boot with
> PCLinuxOS and Win XP Home, which is the original OS. The laptop was
> bought used with a single partition containing XP, and has no restore
> partition, so restoring the original XP is not an option.
>
> The XP partition has XP Home, fully updated, Avast anti-virus,
> MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware (full paid for version) for malware
> detection, and Comodo firewall.
>
> Up until 2 days ago (after about 2 years) I have had no trouble with
> this XP setup at all, but suddenly I am experiencing problems.
>
> On booting I get a message from SAS that it has detected and blocked a
> potentially harmful application and gives me the option to find out
> more about this app or to scan the system. Selecting either of these
> has no efffect, and SAS then stops running. Comodo also does not run
> on startup. If I start Comodo I get the icon in the task bar, the icon
> then changes to incorporate a 'No Entry' type sign and Comodo then
> stops.
>
> Neither Firefox nor IE will run, just showing a corresponding process
> in task manager.
>
> A full system scan with a fully updated Avast reveals no infections, a
> full scan with MalwareBytes also reveals no infection. Trying to run
> SAS leads to the same situation as above. I downloaded the portable
> version of SAS on another pc and copied it to a USB stick. If I then
> connect the usb stick to the laptop it is shown in device manager, but
> not in Windows Explorer, so I cannot run the portable SAS.
>
> I have installed nothing new, and have not gone to any 'iffy'
> websites. I have not downloaded any emails.
>
> Can anyone advise ?
> TIA
>
> -- Remove fred before email
>
> -- Registered Linux user 490858


You run avast and malwarebytes, so you can get the desktop and
explorer. Seems what you can't do is
access internet. So, have you checked that you haven't accidentally
disabled the wireless adapter?
It is a simple keystroke to toggle it on/off. Usually there's a light
with the wireless icon (((.))) Alt. F2.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
russg
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
On Sep 3, 3:50*pm, scbs29 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello all
> I have set up my wifes laptop (NEC i_Select 5210) to dual boot with
> PCLinuxOS and Win XP Home, which is the original OS. The laptop was
> bought used with a single partition containing XP, and has no restore
> partition, so restoring the original XP is not an option.
>
> The XP partition has XP Home, fully updated, Avast anti-virus,
> MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware (full paid for version) for malware
> detection, and Comodo firewall.
>
> Up until 2 days ago (after about 2 years) I have had no trouble with
> this XP setup at all, but suddenly I am experiencing problems.
>
> On booting I get a message from SAS that it has detected and blocked a
> potentially harmful application and gives me the option to find out
> more about this app or to scan the system. Selecting either of these
> has no efffect, and SAS then stops running. Comodo also does not run
> on startup. If I start Comodo I get the icon in the task bar, the icon
> then changes to incorporate a 'No Entry' type sign and Comodo then
> stops.
>
> Neither Firefox nor IE will run, just showing a corresponding process
> in task manager.
>
> A full system scan with a fully updated Avast reveals no infections, a
> full scan with MalwareBytes also reveals no infection. Trying to run
> SAS leads to the same situation as above. I downloaded the portable
> version of SAS on another pc and copied it to a USB stick. If I then
> connect the usb stick to the laptop it is shown in device manager, but
> not in Windows Explorer, so I cannot run the portable SAS.
>
> I have installed nothing new, and have not gone to any 'iffy'
> websites. I have not downloaded any emails.
>
> Can anyone advise ?
> TIA
>
> -- Remove fred before email
>
> -- Registered Linux user 490858


I mean FN F2.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
scbs29
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 19:37:25 -0500, scbs29 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 19:04:14 +0100, ~BD~
><BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 03/09/2010 20:50, scbs29 wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>> I have set up my wifes laptop (NEC i_Select 5210) to dual boot with
>>> PCLinuxOS and Win XP Home, which is the original OS. The laptop was
>>> bought used with a single partition containing XP, and has no restore

>snip
>>>


>>
>>Hello!
>>
>>I note that your 'time' is adrift!
>>
>>Just a slim possibility which you may like to check:-
>>
>>http://www.ehow.com/how_5011717_check-cmos-battery.html
>>
>>I'm just a 'user' not a guru, but I recall seeing this mentioned before.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Dave

>
>Thanks for the replies.
>When I am logged on to the XP OS the taskbar icon tells me that the pc

snip

Since my last post I have tried the laptop XP with a direct ethernet
cable connection.
Again this made no difference.

remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858
 
Reply With Quote
 
scbs29
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 07:26 PM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:08:52 +0100, ~BD~
<BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 04/09/2010 01:37, scbs29 wrote:
>[....]
>>
>> Thanks for the replies.
>> When I am logged on to the XP OS the taskbar icon tells me that the pc
>> is connected, speed 54Mbps, Connection strength good.
>> If I log into the PCLinuxOS OS then I have full internet access at the
>> speed one would expect and firefox runs ok.
>> I don't know if it has any bearing on the problem, but in XP, if I
>> open a command prompt and ping www.google.co.uk I receive a message in
>> the window that www-tmmdi.l.google.com is being pinged. The ping then
>> times out.
>> I managed to get the XP to recognise the usb stick and did a full scan
>> with the portable SAS. Again no problems were found.

>
>Have you tried resetting your computer clock to the correct time?


Sorry, should have said.
All posts to this group were made using my desktop, with which I have
no problems in XP Pro or PCLinuxOS (hopefully these are not famous
last words)
There is no ng reader on my wifes laptop.


remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858
 
Reply With Quote
 
scbs29
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Hello all
I have set up my wifes laptop (NEC i_Select 5210) to dual boot with
PCLinuxOS and Win XP Home, which is the original OS. The laptop was
bought used with a single partition containing XP, and has no restore
partition, so restoring the original XP is not an option.

The XP partition has XP Home, fully updated, Avast anti-virus,
MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware (full paid for version) for malware
detection, and Comodo firewall.

Up until 2 days ago (after about 2 years) I have had no trouble with
this XP setup at all, but suddenly I am experiencing problems.

On booting I get a message from SAS that it has detected and blocked a
potentially harmful application and gives me the option to find out
more about this app or to scan the system. Selecting either of these
has no efffect, and SAS then stops running. Comodo also does not run
on startup. If I start Comodo I get the icon in the task bar, the icon
then changes to incorporate a 'No Entry' type sign and Comodo then
stops.

Neither Firefox nor IE will run, just showing a corresponding process
in task manager.

A full system scan with a fully updated Avast reveals no infections, a
full scan with MalwareBytes also reveals no infection. Trying to run
SAS leads to the same situation as above. I downloaded the portable
version of SAS on another pc and copied it to a USB stick. If I then
connect the usb stick to the laptop it is shown in device manager, but
not in Windows Explorer, so I cannot run the portable SAS.

I have installed nothing new, and have not gone to any 'iffy'
websites. I have not downloaded any emails.

Can anyone advise ?
TIA

-- Remove fred before email

-- Registered Linux user 490858
 
Reply With Quote
 
scbs29
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:40:02 +0100, ~BD~
<BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 03/09/2010 20:26, scbs29 wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:08:52 +0100, ~BD~
>> <BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/09/2010 01:37, scbs29 wrote:
>>> [....]
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for the replies.
>>>> When I am logged on to the XP OS the taskbar icon tells me that the pc
>>>> is connected, speed 54Mbps, Connection strength good.
>>>> If I log into the PCLinuxOS OS then I have full internet access at the
>>>> speed one would expect and firefox runs ok.
>>>> I don't know if it has any bearing on the problem, but in XP, if I
>>>> open a command prompt and ping www.google.co.uk I receive a message in
>>>> the window that www-tmmdi.l.google.com is being pinged. The ping then
>>>> times out.
>>>> I managed to get the XP to recognise the usb stick and did a full scan
>>>> with the portable SAS. Again no problems were found.
>>>
>>> Have you tried resetting your computer clock to the correct time?

>>
>> Sorry, should have said.
>> All posts to this group were made using my desktop, with which I have
>> no problems in XP Pro or PCLinuxOS (hopefully these are not famous
>> last words)
>> There is no ng reader on my wifes laptop.

>
>Hmmm! Are you now saying that *your* /desktop/ had the time set incorrectly?
>
>Have you reset your router?


Since I have no problem with the internet on the laptop using
PCLinuxOS (wireless or ethernet) or on my desktop with XP or PCLinuxOS
(ethernet) then I would assume that the problem does not lie with the
router. I would also assume that the problems lie with XP on the
laptop.
As I said in my OP the problem is that SAS reports a potentially
harmful app on bootup and then closes. Comodo firewall also closes
just after opening. I am seeking a possible explanation for these.
Another assumption that I am making is that these may have a bearing
on the internet problem, since until SAS and Comodo started closing I
again had no problems.

remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858
 
Reply With Quote
 
scbs29
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 08:37 PM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:21:36 +0100, ~BD~
<BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 03/09/2010 20:57, scbs29 wrote:
>
>> Since I have no problem with the internet on the laptop using
>> PCLinuxOS (wireless or ethernet) or on my desktop with XP or PCLinuxOS
>> (ethernet) then I would assume that the problem does not lie with the
>> router. I would also assume that the problems lie with XP on the
>> laptop.
>> As I said in my OP the problem is that SAS reports a potentially
>> harmful app on bootup and then closes. Comodo firewall also closes
>> just after opening. I am seeking a possible explanation for these.
>> Another assumption that I am making is that these may have a bearing
>> on the internet problem, since until SAS and Comodo started closing I
>> again had no problems.

>
>
>
>You didn't answer my question about your clock being incorrectly set and
>whether or not *you* had personally fixed the error. Malware can do all
>manner of things!
>
>Sorry I couldn't be of help.


Apologies.
All messages sent to the ng were from my desktop, not from the laptop
with which I have the problem. The time being correct or not on my
desktop as far as I can see would have no bearing on the problems on
another computer.
To answer your question, however, I did not adjust the time on my
desktop.

remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858
 
Reply With Quote
 
Heather
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 09:14 PM

"scbs29" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:21:36 +0100, ~BD~
> <BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>You didn't answer my question about your clock being incorrectly set and
>>whether or not *you* had personally fixed the error. Malware can do all
>>manner of things!
>>
>>Sorry I couldn't be of help.

>
> Apologies.
> All messages sent to the ng were from my desktop, not from the laptop
> with which I have the problem. The time being correct or not on my
> desktop as far as I can see would have no bearing on the problems on
> another computer.
> To answer your question, however, I did not adjust the time on my
> desktop.
>

Please ignore any so-called advice from this person......he is not qualified
to give it and is actually a real PITA to everyone who is knowledgeable on
this group.

Just thought I should warn you seeing as no one else had. I have him
killfiled, but your replies filled in the missing nonsensical posts.

HF


 
Reply With Quote
 
David H. Lipman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
From: "scbs29" <(E-Mail Removed)>


| Since I have no problem with the internet on the laptop using
| PCLinuxOS (wireless or ethernet) or on my desktop with XP or PCLinuxOS
| (ethernet) then I would assume that the problem does not lie with the
| router. I would also assume that the problems lie with XP on the
| laptop.
| As I said in my OP the problem is that SAS reports a potentially
| harmful app on bootup and then closes. Comodo firewall also closes
| just after opening. I am seeking a possible explanation for these.
| Another assumption that I am making is that these may have a bearing
| on the internet problem, since until SAS and Comodo started closing I
| again had no problems.

First, please just ignore ~BD~

There is no time issue that is relevant and he is a news group troll.

You say "SAS reports a potentially harmful app on bootup"

Please start by defining EXACTLY what SAS reports both by the nbame it defines it as and
by the fully qualified name and path to the file(s) deemed to be the potentially harmful
application.


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


 
Reply With Quote
 
ASCII
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
David H. Lipman wrote:
>
>There is no time issue that is relevant


Never heard of a logic bomb, I guess?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.